Click or tap on one of the following 20 HOUR O.P.O.T.A. PRIVATE SECURITY FIREARMS class dates for registration and deposit payment information.
April 4 and 5, 2020 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM (CANCELED DUE TO CODIV-19)
Due to the Coronavirus pandemic this class had to be canceled to ensure the health and safety of the instructors and the students – please consider one of the below classes which is available for registration.
April 18 and 19, 2020 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM (AVAILABLE)
May 2 and 3, 2020 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM (AVAILABLE)
May 16 and 17, 2020 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM (AVAILABLE)
••• PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE PAGE FOR SPECIFIC INFORMATION •••
REGISTRATION FOR THIS CLASS AND DEPOSIT PAYMENT INDICATES THAT YOU UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT THE LISTED POLICIES AND PROCEDURES FOR THIS CLASS.
This Page Provides Information on Training and the Bottom of this Page Allows for Debit/Credit Payment
In strict compliance with Ohio Revised Code 4749.10, mandated by the State of Ohio Attorney General, states:
- that any individual desiring work as an armed uniformed private security officer must successfully complete a basic firearm training program at a training school approved by the Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission,
- which includes twenty hours of training in handgun use.
- this course consists of classroom training where Student Performance Objectives (SPOs) regarding the use of force, firearm safety and range safety rules are taught and tested.
- the classroom portion also includes basic fundamentals of pistol craft, firearm nomenclature, fight-or-flight response and how it affects you physically and mentally and other aspects of carrying and using a firearm.
- the range portion consists of holster drills, sight picture, sight alignment, trigger press and much more,
- also included during range portion is live fire training and completing the SPOs to demonstrate firearms proficiency.
In addition to the required SPOs, the Ohio Concealed Handgun License Certification pamphlet is also taught, which will allow the student to apply for their state concealed carry license with the OPOTA certificate. The following are subject matters taught:
- Ohio Use of Deadly Force Overview
- Handgun Nomenclature
- Firearms & Ammunition Safety
- Handgun Function
- Handgun Handling to include proper Loading & Unloading with both the Revolver & Semi-Automatic Pistol
- Shooting Fundamentals
- Proper Storage of Firearms & Ammunition
- Ohio Concealed Carry Law Overview
- In depth information on what happens after Deadly Force in self-defense is used
! ! ! THIS IS A PERFORMANCE DRIVEN CLASS ! ! !
The State of Ohio mandates that only those individuals who achieve a PASSING score on both the written and firearms performance objectives will be certified by the Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission.
Each student can test twice on each test. If both attempts are failed on the written test, the student will receive a FAILING score and will not be able to continue to the practical range training and testing. If the student receives a FAILING score twice on any of the practical range performance objectives, that student will not be certified.
FAILING EITHER THE WRITTEN TEST OR PRACTICAL RANGE TEST WILL DISQUALIFY YOU FROM BEING CERTIFIED – THIS DOES NOT ENTITLE YOU TO A REFUND!
OCFT Academy will allow those students who fail a one time chance to retake the class for $185.00. If the class must be taken again due to another failing score, then full price of the next class must be paid.
REVIEW QUESTIONS 1 THRU 19! IF YOU CHECK “YES TO ANY OF THESE QUESTION YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO ATTEND THE CLASS UNLESS CLEARED BY OPOTA!!! TO GET CLEARANCE, YOU MUST EMAIL ME A JOURNAL ENTRY FROM THE COURT AT LEAST TEN (10) DAYS BEFORE CLASS, WHICH I’LL FORWARD TO OPOTA FOR REVIEW AND DETERMINATION. PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION TO QUESTIONS 1, 3, 12, 17 AND 18.
YOU MUST GO THROUGH THIS PROCESS EVEN IF YOU’VE HAD A RECORD SEALED OR EXPUNGED!
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS ABOUT YOUR ELIGIBILITY, PLEASE CONTACT ME BY PHONE OR EMAIL. WE WILL COMPLETE THE FORMS IN THE CLASSROOM.
STUDENT DISCLOSURES AND STATEMENT OF UNDERSTANDING
- Have you ever been convicted of a felony offense in any jurisdiction, including any conviction that has been sealed or expunged? (If so, you may not attend any portion of a Peace Officer Basic Training Academy.)
- Are you a fugitive from justice?
- Have you ever been convicted of a felony offense of violence as defined in ORC 2901.01?
- Have you ever been adjudicated a delinquent child for the commission of an offense that, if committed by an adult, would have been a felony offense of violence?
- Have you ever been convicted of any felony offense involving a drug of abuse?
- Have you ever been adjudicated a delinquent child for the commission of an offense that, if committed by an adult, would have been a felony offense involving a drug of abuse?
- Are you drug dependent, in danger of drug dependence, or a chronic alcoholic?
- Are you under adjudication from any court for mental incompetence?
- Have you been adjudicated by a court as a mental defective?
- Have you been committed by a court to a mental institution?
- Have you been found by a court to be a mentally ill person subject to hospitalization by court order, or have you been an involuntary patient other than one who is a patient only for purposes of observation?
- Have you ever been convicted of a crime that had a possible sentence of more than one year?
- Are you an alien, illegally or unlawfully in the United States?
- Have you been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions?
- Have you renounced your United States citizenship?
- Are you under a court order that restrains you from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or the child of such intimate partner, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child?
- Have you been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence?
- Have you been convicted of a misdemeanor crime that has, as an element of that crime, the use or attempted use of physical force, or the threatened use of a deadly weapon? If yes, please explain your relationship with the victim )stranger, present or former spouse, household member, child, other family member, other – please describe).
- Do you currently have criminal charges pending in any jurisdiction?
A $100.00 DEPOSIT IS REQUIRED TO SECURE A SEAT IN THIS CLASS!
PRICE: $235.00 which includes everything needed for the range portion of the class:
- RENTAL OF THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- Glock Model 17 9mm semi-auto pistol.
- Three magazines.
- A duty belt which includes a holster, magazine pouch and belt keepers.
- Eye and hearing protection.
- Includes all of the ammunition needed to complete the class.
REGISTRATION, DEPOSIT & BALANCE PAYMENT:
***You must be registered to attend this class!***
To register and reserve a seat in your chosen class, the deposit amount of $100.00 must be paid in advance! The balance of $135.00 can be paid in a subsequent payment up to and including the first day of your class.
PAYMENT: To register and make your on-line deposit payment:
- click on the blue “SCHEDULE NOW” button below – this will link you to our card payment company for a safe and secure payment.
- choose the class for the date you want which will schedule you for both Saturday and Sunday – make sure to pay attention to the correct date
- complete the required information, enter your card number and submit.
- once you complete this and the transaction has been accepted, you’ll receive an automatically generated receipt and you’ll be registered for that class.
DEPOSIT POLICY: DEPOSITS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE!!! Under very limited hardship or emergency circumstances, which Ohio Citizens Firearms Training, LLC reserves the right to determine, a deposit may be applied to one future class through this company.
*** IF YOU MISS THE TIME REQUIREMENT WHICH IS NO MORE THAN 15 MINUTES LATE OR SIMPLY DO NOT ATTEND THE CLASS, YOU WILL FORFEIT YOUR DEPOSIT.
DURATION: 12 hours classroom training | 8 hours range training TOTAL: 20 hours.
CLASS & RANGE LOCATION: OCFT Academy training facility at the Public Safety Training Center, Parma, Ohio. (Click Here for Map)
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Must not be under weapons disability.
- Must be on time to the class.
- Must pay balance by first day of class.
PER STATE OF OHIO LAW, DO NOT BRING ANY FIREARMS ONTO COLLEGE PROPERTY!
QUESTIONS: Please enter all questions in the COMMENTS section of the information form below. This section is not for registration. If the questions are for a specific class, you can choose the class from the drop down menu. We will respond with an email or a phone call.