Ohio Citizens Firearms Training Academy was founded in May, 2004 after the State of Ohio passed a statute authorizing civilians to apply for their Concealed Handgun License (CHL) for self-defense, providing the applicant underwent required training and obtain a Certificate of Training to apply for the license.
George F. Smetana, founder, owner and main instructor of the OCFT Academy, is a retired police officer with 30 years service with the Cleveland Police Department. Because of his firm belief in the 2nd Amendment and his hopes that all good law abiding citizens secure the right to arm themselves, he drew on his vast knowledge of firearms and shooting skills, knowledge of state laws and law enforcement, and developed a class and range qualifications to ascertain an individual’s skills for certification.
The following is a summary of his police career, firearms related training and military background published to verify his credibility:
- Worked in Basic Patrol and the Strike Force Unit.
- Finished his career as an instructor in the Police Academy and Firearms Training unit.
- He was the senior officer member of the Tactical Training Team where officers and police recruits are trained in advanced tactics during deadly force confrontations.
- His last assignment involved training and re-certifying police officers in the use of firearms and Deadly Force.
- He was awarded with an Expert rating on his pistol marksmanship skills on numerous occasions.
In addition to being a Firearms Instructor certified through the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy (O.P.O.T.A.) and the Ohio Attorney General’s Office, as well as a pistol instructor certified through the National Rifle Association, George holds numerous certificates earned from the State of Ohio Attorney General’s Office. The following is a partial list pertaining directly to training in the use of firearms and tactical procedures:
- Police Academy Firearms Instructor (O.P.O.T.A.)
- Private Security Academy Firearms Instructor (O.P.O.T.A.)
- Private Security Academy and Firearms School Commander (O.P.O.T.A.)
- Semi-Auto Pistol Instructor Course (O.P.O.T.A.)
- Shotgun Instructor Course (O.P.O.T.A.)
- Revolver Instructor Course (O.P.O.T.A.)
- High Intensity Confrontational Simulation Training Instructor (O.P.O.T.A.)
- Weapon Training & Re-qualification (Northcoast Polytechnic Institute)
- Glock Pistol Instructor’s Workshop (Glock)
- Certified Pistol Instructor with the National Rifle Association (N.R.A.)
George is also a six year active duty veteran of the US Army, proudly completing his service with an Honorable Discharge.
During the class, because of his involvement in situations where Deadly Force had to be used, you will not only receive instructions mandated by the State of Ohio, but uniquely, you will also receive information as what to expect before, during and after a Deadly Force encounter. This cannot be taught by a text book, this can only be taught by actual life experiences!